I rarely find great recipes in magazines, unless it’s Bon Appetit, Martha Stewart or the like, but then I was flipping through Better Homes and Gardens and hello, fresh corn salad! I must confess that summer is my least favorite season (I grew up in Florida, so if you’ve ever been there in the summer you know exactly why that’s the case) but summer brings with it wonderful produce that I love: strawberries, blueberries, peaches, nectarines, tomatoes and big, golden ears of corn. Recipes like this refreshing raw salad almost make this sweltering season worthwhile.
Fresh Corn Salad (adapted from BHG)
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Stevia or 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher/sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ears fresh corn
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup red or orange sweet pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cherry, pear or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
For the dressing, whisk together the cider vinegar, Stevia or honey, salt and pepper and set aside.
After washing the ears of corn, cut all the kernels off the cobs. (You can blanch the ears in boiling, salted water for one minute before cutting if your corn needs to be “refreshed,” as the magazine calls it.)
Toss the corn, onions, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes and herbs in a large bowl and mix together. Add the dressing when you’re ready to serve.