Do you ever have those days when you’re hungry but almost nothing actually sounds good to eat? Usually on these days I just want a great big salad. As a huge salad fan, this one by far makes my top 5.
I realized that salads are so great in every season. Each one offers different but equally delicious ingredient options. And this salad of the autumnal variety is spectacular.Autumn Salad with Apples, Blue Cheese and Candied Walnuts (recipe adapted from Andrea over at Bella Eats)
- 1 1/2 cups romaine lettuce
- 1/4 tart apple, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tbsp crumbled Blue Cheese (I’ve also used Gorgonzola and it’s wonderful in there as well)
Candied Walnut Ingredients*
- 1/8 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup halved walnuts
* This will provide you with enough walnuts for a few salads
Creamy Mustard Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- First, candy the walnuts. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a heavy skillet. Bring to a boil, whisking, and allow to boil for 1 minute. Add the walnuts and stir to coat. Continue tossing until the syrup forms a glaze on the nuts, about 3 minutes. Transfer nuts to sheet of foil and quickly separate them with a fork.
- Second, make the vinaigrette. Combine the mustard, vinegar, and honey in a bowl or measuring glass and whisk in the olive oil to emulsify. You can also do this in a food processor.
- Add apples, cheese and walnuts to the lettuce and dress the salad.
All the flavor combinations will rock your world. The apples, mustard and vinegar are tart; the candied walnuts and honey provide sweetness; and the blue cheese adds a salty component. Tartness, sweetness and saltiness…ohhh myyy. I may or may not have had this salad almost every day since I discovered it…